If you saw our recent post you know that Spring and Falls weddings are taking over. That doesn’t by any means mean that we no longer have weddings during the summer. If you are planning to have your wedding during the summer time, keep these tips in mind to help you beat the heat!
1. When searching for a venue, consider somewhere along the water. Here in Niagara, we have lot’s of water to choose from! Having your wedding near the water will increase your chances of getting a nice breeze to override the humidity once in a while.
Photo by Bryan Caporicci
2. Consider the time of day you would like to have your ceremony.A late afternoon/early evening wedding is ideal during the summer. This matters for many reasons.
- No one wants to stand/sit under the hot blazing sun. Not you, not your vendors, and certainly not your guests.
- If you want to get the best pictures possible, you do NOT want , I repeat, you do NOT want to take your photos when the sun is so high in the sky. We naturally think that having a gorgeous sunny day is going to look great for photos, but we couldn’t be more wrong. Think of the shadows the sun creates when it is so high in the sky- not pretty. Also, think of how hard it is to not squint without sunglasses, really it’s hard! You don’t want squinty photos!
- Most people want their reception to start after dark, if your one of these people, you need to consider what time the sun goes down at night. You don’t want too big of a gap between your ceremony and the reception.
3. Make sure your dress is appropriate for the weather. Let’s face it, wedding dresses can be heavy! Along with the heaviness comes heat, along with heat comes sweat! You don’t want to be drenched in sweat on your wedding day. If you’re planning a summer wedding that will be outside, consider wearing a dress with less layers.
4. Make sure you stay hydrated! With all that heat, it is so important that you drink plenty of water! You also want to hydrate your guests! You can add a bottle of water to each person chair, or for a very “pintrest” wedding you can create a water bar. Just like you would create any other kind of do-it-yourself bar, make sure you include lots of options for your guests. Have pitchers of water and on the side include bowls of fruit and ice.