Let’s talk about one of the most romantic wedding venues in all of Niagara, Kurtz Orcahrds. Apple, peach & plum trees strung with cafe lights, under the stars and a warm summer breeze. Kurtz Orchards weddings are full of charming detail and come with endless options at your fingertips. There are two sides of Kurtz, the Market side which features a wooden bridge that traverses over a koi pond, a ceremony gazebo, a clear span tent complete with draping and a wooden floor as well as an indoor barn-like option in the market. The original Gracewood side of Kurtz Orchards features the most magical ceremony locations, a bridal and a groom’s suite, a garden for cocktails, and a fully lined and wooden-floored tent over looking the vineyards.
The tent holds 300 people. With 48 acres of space, more tents can be added to accommodate what is needed.
ON-SITE CEREMONY SPACE?
Yes, the most beautiful ceremony locations in the middle of an orchard, in front of a vineyard.. the options are endless.
The current site fee for Kurtz Orchards is $7500++. This includes exclusive use of your side of the property, Marquee Tent (lighting and draping), Folding tables and Mahogany charivari chairs for dining, White folding chairs for ceremony, Dance floor, Vintage string lighting and tiki lights, Outdoor living furniture, Fire tables and lounge Chairs, Bartender liquor, liquor licence and ice.
AVERAGE MENU PRICE PER PERSON:
$95.00++ for a three course meal from May to October
All weddings are priced the same due to only being able to have 24 events per side.
AVAILABILITY FOR 2017?
There may be spots open due to cancellation. It never hurts to call and ask to see what might be available.
- Both sides of the property come with a permanent tent which includes draping and the most beautiful wood floors.
- Endless possibilities for your wedding. Under the stars, in the tent, half and half, in the orchard, etc.
- Tasty food!
- Anne and her coordinating staff are amazing. They really care about every client on site. The serving staff works hard and is amazing too!
- There is a lot included in your venue rental fee.
- One of the best locations for photos in Niagara on the Lake, hands-down.
- The site fee can sound scary at $7500++. Think about it this way.. if you were on a private residence the tent would cost you $3000+, the floor for that sized tent (which would be plywood and carpet not the beautiful wood floor you see here) would cost $4000+. Right there alone you are almost at the venue fee. With that you get your tables, chivari chairs and you can customize the colour of your linen by visiting Simply Beautiful, so a lot of your decor budget is already included in the fee.
- The 11:00 pm sound curfew. As mentioned in other venue spotlights, this is standard and is to be expected with any Niagara on the Lake outdoor wedding venue.
Here are the quick facts:
The tent holds 250 people and can be modified to add more space as needed.
On-site ceremony space?
Yes, overlooking the vineyard!
The current site fee for Chateau des Charmes is $5000 + HST. This includes exclusive use of the winery, round tables, white linen, chairs, tent with floor/ sides, etc., patio furniture, staff, bridal suite.
Average menu price per person:
Uses the Vintage hotels as their catering service. Average food cost is $70 pp. The bar package is $40 ++ per person and wine is billed based on consumption which is estimated to be around $25++per person. Together you are looking at an average cost of $135 ++ per person.
No discounts offered.
Availability for 2017?
Some Fridays & Sundays.
- Features a large tent with a solid floor that can be adjusted to your size when needed.
- The view. A stone building, beautiful patio and so many rows of incredible vines.
- The wine. Enough said.
- Ability to choose from any of the Vintage Hotels as your caterer and flexibility in the food package you choose .
- The site fee. This is one of the lowest priced venue fees for Niagara on the Lake wineries. It’s a great value for everything it includes which I mentioned above.
- Your exclusive rental time does not begin until 6:30 pm. The best way to plan around this is to plan on having a first look photo and then doing all of your photos before the ceremony. This way you can begin your ceremony as soon as you arrive on site, head into cocktails and then into dinner.
As a Niagara wedding planner, designer and florist who focuses on simplicity, my designs are not by any means “over-the-top”. That doesn’t mean that I provide my clients with a bare-bones approach to designing their wedding, it just means that the small details I implement are ones that make a big impact. The even better part? The costs are usually pretty inexpensive. Here are a few items that I factor into every one of my design proposals.
I can’t say enough about specialty linen. First off, all linen should always be floor length. Imagine spending all kinds of money on florals and other decor elements, only to have ugly table legs sticking out from underneath. Using specialty linen gives you so many options and choices. Essentially you can bring in any colour, texture, pattern and material when working with company who specializes in linen. When you have an overall theme or even just colour scheme you want to portray, using a linen that tells your design story is an easy add-on. From satin to sequin, real linen to the perfectly patterned lace overlay, it’s one of the best ways to make an impact on a budget.
Cost: Starting around $15 for basic satin (in any colour) to an upwards of $35 for higher quality material x the number of tables you need. An average sized wedding will spend about $250 on linen.
Yes, most venues supply chairs and usually you have to cover them. Using a chair cover creates a blockage around each table. For example: Imagine a chivari, crossback or sonoma chair. Each of these chairs have fairly open backs to them. When they are placed around the table, you can essentially see right through them allowing guests to see your entire design upon entry to the room. The chairs also come in an array of colours and wood types which allow you to pick the perfect chair for your design story. Both of those elements combined, allow you to make a huge impact on your guests from the moment they first walk in the room.
Cost: Chairs can definitely add a significant amount to the budget but it’s such a simple way to add the wow factor to your design, I always say it’s worth it! $6-8 per chair is what you are looking at. Based on 150 ppl you’d be looking at $900.
A really simple way to bring your theme into each place setting is to include a menu that portrays your theme or colour scheme. Matching table numbers work well for this also.
Cost: I would say to budget around $2 per person for this. $300 is what you would be looking at based on 150 people.
When you add up these non-floral ways to add touches of your theme to your wedding, you’re looking at roughly $1400. In the overall cost of your budget, it’s a small cost to make a huge design impact.
I also wanted to include florals as a way to make a big impact at your wedding. In my opinion, every wedding needs a big beautiful floral arrangement at every guest table. Flowers make peoples hearts sing. Include an arrangement full of the loveliest blooms and you’ll be sure to capture your guests in the design.
Cost: Of course we all know that flowers aren’t cheap. For a medium-large statement piece, estimate $100 per table. Costs can go up or even down depending on the variety of flowers or size you decide on. Based on 15 tables you are looking at $1500.
Another favourite venue featured in the Spotlight series, Ravine Vineyard located in St.Davids (Niagara on the Lake).
I love the atmosphere at Ravine. It’s casual and laid back, yet charming and elegant. Like all of the venues being featured, the food and staff are amazing. It also over looks the vineyard and has plenty of photo-worthy ops.
Capacity: Currently, the tent holds 250 people. They are getting a new tent installed, so stay posted for capacity updates. They also host smaller weddings in their cellar, porch and patio.
On-site ceremony space? Yes!
Fees: The current site fee for Ravine Vineyard is $7500. The fee includes the tent, ceremony location, harvest tables with white runners and napkins, wood oven pizza bar, bonfire pit, staffing fees (which means no additional gratuities added) and they limit seating in the restaurant to provide more exclusivity for the bride and groom.
Ceremony Fees: included.
Average menu price per person: $110-$120 PP + $50 beverage package.
Discounts: There are no minimum food and beverage requirements if you have your wedding on a Sunday. (Fridays, Saturdays and long weekend Sundays have a 100 person minimum requirement from May – October). Winter – Site fee decreases. Lower site fee for smaller weddings as well.
Availability for 2017? Yes, mostly Fridays & Sundays. October has Saturdays available.
- Beautiful location/view
- The food is always top notch.
- Even their snacks are foodie-worthy… wood oven pizzas and homemade ice cream sandwiches anyone?
- Some of the best wedding staff I’ve worked with from servers to management.
- Incredible laid-back yet elegant atmosphere that will make your guests feel at ease.
- Everything on site allows for less logistics to worry about.
- Lot’s of on-site photo ops
- Ravine let’s you work with a blank canvas and turn it into your vision.
- It’s an outdoor Niagara on the Lake location, which means they have to follow the 11:00 pm sound rule. (I’ve done many weddings at Ravine, and guests have never felt the party was ending too soon)
- The site fee can eat up a lot of your budget. (Though it does include everything mentioned above so you should factor that in. PS. The cost to bring a basic tent with NO floor to a private residence isn’t a low cost. If you factor in that it’s roughly $6000 for a tent with a full floor, it puts the site fee into a new perspective along with everything else they include.)
- It’s an all outdoor wedding, which while on beautiful days is amazing, it also means you have to prepare yourself for the chance of inclement weather. (A well prepared Plan B is an important element of an outdoor wedding.)
In a personal challenge to not only blog more, but to also ensure I am providing valuable content to my readers, I’ve decided to start a new series. This series will walk you through some of my favourite venues in the Niagara region. We’ll talk about costs, additional fees, what’s included, pros and cons and look at past weddings in those locations.
To kick off the series, I’m spotlighting The Inn on the Twenty in Jordan Ontario.
I can’t say enough great things about the Inn on the Twenty. The food is amazing, the staff is amazing, the view is amazing, and to top it off, it’s very affordable.
Here are the quick facts:
Capacity: 140 in the Windows room (pictured above), and 60 on the Vitners Cellar.
On-site ceremony space? The Inn on the Twenty has three options located at the Cave Springs Vineyard. The Escarpment Site, in the Vineyard, or the Newly Renovated Retreat building. This is located about 10-15 minutes away from the Inn.
*Capacity for the retreat building for ceremonies is 120 people + standing bridal party
Fees: There is no rental fee for the use of the reception space at the Inn on the Twenty. There is a minimum food and beverage requirement which differs depending on your date.
*MAY-OCTOBER—Windows On The Twenty: 75 adults for private evening functions on Friday, 50 adults from
Sunday through Thursday, and 100 adults for private functions on Saturday or the Sunday of a long weekend;
Vintner’s Cellar: minimum 30 adults Sunday through Saturday.
• NOVEMBER-APRIL—Windows On The Twenty: 50 adults for private evening functions on Sunday-Friday, 75
adults for private functions on Saturday or the Sunday of a long weekend; Vintner’s Cellar: minimum 30 adults
Sunday through Saturday.
Ceremony Fees: 2017 – $ 825.00 + HST or $ 875.00 with use of the golf cart.
Average menu price per person: $125++ pp (includes food and bar package)
Discounts: Friday and Sunday during summer months $115 ++ PP. Winter pricing $105 ++ pp.
Availability for 2017? Saturdays after Nov 25th and a a few Friday dates in the Windows room. Availability all year in the Vitners Cellar.
- Incredible Staff
- “foodie-worthy” meals
- all-inclusive packages
- Outdoor Vineyard ceremony space + back up location.
- Accommodations for B&G and guests on site or close by.
- Flexibility- staff is very willing to work with B&G and their wants/needs.
- No bands allowed. If you are someone hoping for a band at your wedding, this isn’t the venue for you. I believe it is due to all of the windows/glass in the room.
- Blue Carpet… sorry y’all. I don’t see the blue carpet changing, but with all of the pros above, it’s definitely not a deal breaker. Use neutral colours like the wedding above or add a touch of navy into your colour scheme to blend your design in with the room instead of trying to fight it.